Oh Siargao, where do I start… I can’t believe my most awaited trip is over but i’m excited to share with you guys how beautiful Siargao is! ❤
At the northeastern tip of Mindanao lies this beautiful Island of Siargao, also known as the surfing capital of the Philippines. From Manila we took the first flight out to Cebu and from Cebu to Siargao. Flights to Siargao could be pretty pricey but with patience and luck, you can get a good deal. I booked mine early this year and I got Manila-Cebu-Siargao and back for P3,914 (80USD) all in with Cebu Pacific. We spent 4 days in Siargao and i’m telling you it was not enough! There were just so much to do I suggest you stay for 6 days or more 🙂
It took a while for me to finalize the details of this trip and by the time i did, my top resort choices were already fully booked and I ended up booking with Isla Cabana Resort. It was a little pricey at P7,240/night for a superior cabana room for 3 pax (P2,423/night/person) but the resort was beautiful and the staff were all extremely accommodating from the moment we checked in until we checked out.
Here are the other resorts on my list:
- Bravo Beach Resort rate starts at P2,500/night for a private room for 2
- Harana Surf Resort rate starts at P2,500/night for a private room for 2
- Kalinaw Resort rate starts at P9,900/night for a deluxe villa for 2
- Siargao Bleu Resort rate starts at P6,500/night for 2
SEE & DO
Our first whole day in Siargao was spent island hopping in the morning and a visit to Mangpupungko Rock Pools in the afternoon. I first planned on joining my siargao guide tour for island hopping (P1,000/ person with food) however they offer a whole day tour (10am to 5pm). We didn’t go with them because we needed to be back by 12nn for Mangpupungko so we decided to do a DIY island hopping tour instead. With the help of Mang Jonathan, a local who was referred to me by a friend, we rented a boat for P1,500 and spent the morning island hopping – Naked Island, Daku Island and Guyam Island. We started the tour at 7am and we had both Naked Island and Guyam Island all to ourselves. My personal favorite is Guyam Island because I enjoyed the view of huge waves crashing into the reefs just a few meters away. Something about it was just so relaxing 🙂
Contact Mang Jonathan at 0921 7912430.
Magpupungko Rock Pools
About an hour habal habal ride out of General Luna lies Magpupungko Rock Pools. It is best appreciated during low tide because it’s only then that the natural pools show up. You can ask the locals what time low tide is but as for us it was from 12nn to 4pm. We enjoyed our time swimming and just watching the waves crash into the reefs.
Entrance fee is P50.00
Sugba Lagoon with My Siargao Guide
For P2,000/person all inclusive, we joined My Siargao Guide for the whole day Sugba Lagoon Tour. Aside from not going through the hassle of planning and preparing, what’s nice about joining a tour is that you get to meet other people. Sugba lagoon is an hour and a half away by car and boat from General Luna.
We spent the whole day paddle boarding, snorkeling with stingless jellyfish and swimming in the crystal clear water of the lagoon. I absolutely recommend you include this in your itinerary. 🙂
Surf at Cloud 9
I still can’t believe we did not surf in Siargao…. Yes, I hate to say we weren’t able to so I definitely have a reason to go back! 🙂 This proves though that the island has so much to offer, much more than just surfing.
On our last day, while waiting for our flight back to Cebu, we decided to spend our time in Cloud 9 where we watched surfers do their thing. Like I said earlier, there’s something about watching huge waves crash that relaxes the mind. I wouldn’t mind sitting there all day. 🙂
EAT & DRINK
- Kermit Resort – make your own brick oven pizza and try their truffle pasta
- Shaka Siargao – for healthy smoothie bowls. Prettiest bowl i’ve ever seen ❤
- Kitya’s Place – we headed here for some dessert and their cute little corner
- Mama’s Grill and Cashey’s Grill – cheap seafood and chicken grills. Located near Isla Cabana Resort and Bravo
- Bravo and Harana – head on here at night for some drinks and good vibes
- ALWAYS get off the left side of the motorcycle /habal-habal haha! Shoutout to my friend Wana who got burnt :)) always always check where the muffler is and get off on the other side so you don’t burn yourself
- Bring aqua shoes to Magpupungko Rock Pools
- Bring enough cash for your whole stay
- Be friendly & enjoy! ❤